Oct 18, 2013

Feature-length Film "After School" Finished!

My friend Joel Clarkson and I just finished writing music for the feature-length film "After School", directed by Mauricio Mendoza and Carlos Melendez.  It was a fast and rewarding three-week collaboration that I'll never forget.

It's a really special film because it has a great story, really talented actors, amazing crew, and an important message.  Here's a short description from imdb: The story follows a troubled young boy holding a terrifying secret... one he decides to take into his own hands. It is up to a former teacher to try to help him, and to help make sense of the boy's desperate situation.



I have to say a little about how Joel and I had the opportunity to write music for this film, because it wouldn't have happened if not for one person.  Joseph Julian Gonzalez is one of the best composers I've met in Los Angeles and if you don't know who he is already, you should really get to know his work.  Both Joel and I have previously worked for him.  Our last project was for a documentary mini-series, "From Christ to Constantine".  Joel was the orchestrator I was the music programmer.  Joseph and his wife, Monique are also mentors for us and our career, giving us tips and advice that we couldn't have gone without.

To get to the point, Joseph is good friends with Mauricio, the director and one of the lead actors for "After School".  Mauricio offered the composing gig to Joseph, but Joseph couldn't do it for various reasons, so he recommended me and Joel!  I have to thank Joseph tremendously for doing this, because I would have never gotten this project if it weren't for him.  And not only that, but the film has opened up the door for bigger opportunities and I can now aim higher than I used to!

I feel extremely lucky right now and excited for whats to come.